Birth Registrations & Corrections

A probate court has jurisdiction to consider applications to register births which occurred in Ohio and which have never been recorded, or to correct inaccurate information contained in a birth record. The procedures for registering an unrecorded birth or correcting a birth record are found in Ohio Revised Code 3705.15.

An application to correct or register a birth record may be filed in the Allen County Probate Court if the birth took place in Ohio and if any one of the following apply:

1) the child was born in Allen County
2) the mother was a resident of Allen County when the child was born
3) the application relates to the birth of someone who is now a resident  of Allen County